21 July 2017
He graduated from the Faculty of Law of Eötvös Loránd University of Budapest (ELTE) in 1956. From 1 February 1957 he worked as a lecturer at the Department of Civil Procedure at the Faculty of Law of ELTE, where he was Head of Department for 15 years. Upon being elected to the Constitutional Court he resigned as Head and retained only his professorship. As a fellow of the Humboldt Foundation he carried out research in Munich in 1973 and 1974 and then in Cologne in 1984. Between 1983 and 1997 he also occupied the post of General Vice Rector of Eötvös Loránd University of Budapest. He is member of the Law Committee of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, of the Presidential Board of the International Association of Procedural Law, as well as of the Board of Directors of the Wissenschaftliche Vereinigung für Internationales Verfahrensrecht e.V. A practising advocate until July 1997, he is at present a member of the Plenary Session of the National Chamber of Advocates and of the Court of Arbitration attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Between 1990 and 1997 he served as President of the National Electoral Board. From 1983 he worked as editor, while since 1991 he has been editor-in-chief of the journal Magyar Jog (Hungarian Law). As of January 2001 he has been a member of the Hungarian Holy Crown Association, and since May 2001 he has been president of the editorial board of the journal Európai Jog (European Law).